Having a stuck garage door can be so infuriating; it almost makes you feel like driving through it. Several people find themselves in this situation, especially during winter. Instead of getting frustrated, use your skills and do some troubleshooting techniques to resolve the issue.
First, take a few minutes to examine the door to see if its safety features are working properly. Sometimes the manufacturer’s safety features may prevent the door from opening. If that doesn’t work, perhaps these troubleshooting tips will. Here are some of the steps you could take before you call in a company offering garage door repair services:
1. Typically most doors have settings like vacation or automatic lock modes. If the door is set to this mode, then it will not open, even with the remote. They must be unlocked manually and set back to normal position from inside the garage.
2. Check the battery for the remote operator and see if it is still charged. If you use rechargeable batteries, then this could be the problem. Replace the batteries and see if the remote is powering on. If you are able to operate the door from the controls inside the garage, then your remote is to blame.
3. Check if the cables and power supply are in position. Sometimes the power supply may be switched off, or a cable could be broken. In such a case you would need a garage door repair service to fix the issue.
4. Look inside the garage to see if there are any items in the way of the door. For doors that swing open upwards, an obstruction at the ground level could prevent it from doing so. If there is something that is holding on to the springs, the door will not work.
5. Check the automatic sensors to see if the light is on. If the light on the sensor is not blinking, it would need replacement. Also nothing should be obstructing the sensors and their path.
Trust the Experts on Garage Door Repair
The automatic garage doors work on simple mechanics. The door uses springs and mechanical pulleys to operate. So it is not very difficult to understand what is wrong with the door. While some minor problems can be easily fixed by you, replacement and other major repairs should not be attempted on a D-I-Y basis. The main reason is, these doors need to be fixed thoroughly. Garage doors are very heavy and if they fall they can injure a person very badly. Even if you’re a mechanical expert, it is best if you have it inspected by professionals.
There are a few things that you can do by yourself like greasing the springs and the tractions. You can also occasionally fix the loose hinges, nuts and screws. When you are repairing the door yourself, always keep the manufacturer’s manual handy and follow the instructions to a ‘T.’ When replacing the parts always use the original ones sold by the door manufacturer. Do not buy off the market add-ons as they may cause accidents and spoil the door.